WWW theweekextra

House fire puts 10 out in the cold

(Published Nov. 28, 2007, 11:37 a.m.)

A fire at an off-campus duplex Monday afternoon displaced 10 UW-Whitewater students, according to the university.

The fire at 406 Center St. started about 3:40 p.m., said Sgt. Mike Ciardo, emergency management coordinator for the city. He did not know a cause of the small fire or where exactly it was located in the home.

Fire Chief Howard Higgins could not be reached before deadline. A damage estimate was not available.

Students may have lost books, coursework and personal computers in the fire, according to the university.

The property's owner is working with his insurance company to offer the students temporary housing at a local hotel, said Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs Barb Jones.

The Red Cross is also involved in providing shelter for the students at the Amerihost Hotel, Ciardo said.

Some of the students may be able to move back into half of the duplex within the next week, according to the university.

This is the second fire involving students this month. On Nov. 12, an early morning fire badly damaged the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity house, leaving 10 fraternity brothers without a dwelling. Five people living at the TKE house were students.

There were no injuries in Monday's fire.

ooo

 

Home | News Blogs | The Guide | Entertainment | Classifieds | Advertise | Subscribe | Contact | Site Map
   
Copyright 2007 Bliss Communications Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this material and this site are subject to the TheWeekExtra Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Content may not be published, broadcast, re-distributed or re-written.
.