WWW theweekextra

Four months later, Delavan homicides still under investigation

Mike Heine/The Week

(Published October 9, 2007, 4:31 p.m.)

While the northern Wisconsin community of Crandon starts the healing process from a multiple murder this weekend, Delavan has been healing for four months since a tragedy in the heart of the city.

Tuesday marks the four-month anniversary of Delavan's greatest single-day loss of life--the killings of five people, including infant twins, and the apparent suicide by the gunman.

Little has changed in the investigation in the 122 days since Ambrosio Analco, 23, shot and killed his ex-girlfriend Nicole McAffee, 19; their infant twin sons Argenis and Isaiah Christian Analco, 6 months; Nicole's sister, Ashley Lynn Huerta, 21; and Vanessa Iverson, a 19-year-old friend of Nicole and Ashley.

The Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigations is still conducting several tests before it will compile a final report, expected around Thanksgiving, said Delavan Police Chief Tim O'Neill, who originally thought the investigation would be wrapped up in about two months.

"They said in an update to one of our detectives that there has been nothing surprising in the investigation," O'Neill said.

He was unsure why the investigation was taking so long and assumed the state department was backed up. A department spokesperson declined to comment on the investigation.

The shootings inside 309 S. Second St., still appear to be a murder-suicide, which was thought since the beginning, but questionable because Analco shot himself five times in the chest, O'Neill said.

"The only one I can tell you (for certain) is the last shot fired was by the perpetrator, and that was into himself," Walworth County Coroner John Griebel said in an earlier interview.

Some family members of Iverson still believe someone else may have fired the shots, said Mary Ballbach, Iverson's aunt.

Gaspar Huerta, Ashley's husband, had fled the scene by jumping off a second-story balcony. He ran to a neighbor's and dialed 911 and is not considered a suspect, O'Neill said.

"What he told the police officer who showed up at our house was he was in the back bedroom watching television when he heard shots and saw his wife come rushing toward him and a guy behind her was shooting at her," the neighbor said, describing a frightened Gaspar. "That's when he ran out to his balcony and jumped down. Those were his words to the police officer who was here."

Gaspar was believed to be the only other person in the house other than 20-month-old Jasmine, who was shot in the chest and survived. She was found in a minivan in the home's driveway.

O'Neill said the community, and his officers, have been healing and showing resolve.

"I don't know that you ever totally heal from something like this, but it certainly makes you stronger," O'Neill said. "I think the community and the officers have a parallel on that. It probably leaves some long-lasting scars of some sort, but not necessarily all negative. It will make you stronger."


Home | News Blogs | The Guide | Entertainment | Classifieds | Advertise | Subscribe | Contact | Site Map
Copyright 2007 Bliss Communications Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this material and this site are subject to the TheWeekExtra Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Content may not be published, broadcast, re-distributed or re-written.