WWW theweekextra

Driver leads police on high-speed chase through Delavan

(Published Sept. 12, 2007, 4:15 p.m.)

A Janesville man attempted to crash into other vehicles head-on during high-speed chases early this morning in Walworth County.

The chase involving Jessie J. Gonzales, 22, of 177 S. High St., Apt. 1, ended in Delavan when police used stop sticks on his vehicle.

The incident began when Hayley Steele, 19, of 310 S. Janesville St., Milton, reported at 4:10 a.m. this morning that Gonzales hit and pushed her at the Baymont Inn & Suites, 616 Midland Road, Janesville, after a night of drinking.

Before police arrived, Gonzales left the hotel driving a red Oldsmobile Alero and threatening to go to Delavan where his 4-month-old was staying, a police report said.

Two town of Delavan officers waited for Gonzales to arrive at 406 N. Terrace St., No. 9, in Delavan. When Gonzales spotted the officers at 4:34 a.m., he accelerated, nearly striking a patrol car and two officers on foot.

Gonzales continued westbound on Walworth Ave., at speeds in excess of 90 miles an hour. Police called off the chase after Gonzales made several attempts to hit oncoming vehicles head-on, according to reports.

The state patrol picked up the chase at about 4:41 a.m., following the vehicle eastbound on Highway 11 into Delavan at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour, according to reports.

Officers set up stop sticks near the outskirts of the city, and at 4:44 a.m. Gonzales ran them over while driving about 60 miles an hour. Despite blowing out three of his tires, Gonzales continued to drive downtown with officers in pursuit, according to the report.

After about two miles, the vehicle came to a stop at the eastern city limits on Mound Road, where officers surrounded it. Gonzales again accelerated toward police units, turning around and causing a head-on collision with an oncoming semi-trailer, according to reports.

A sheriff's department sergeant did not believe anyone was injured in the accident.

Gonzales exited the vehicle with is arms in the air, swearing and yelling that police should kill him, according to the report. He continued to resist and was pepper-sprayed in the face and then Tasered, according to the report.

Gonzales was taken to Mercy Health System to be evaluated and was later taken to the Walworth County Jail. Charges include fleeing and threatening his 4-month-old, but a complete list of charges was not available.




Home | News Blogs | The Guide | Entertainment | Classifieds | Advertise | Subscribe | Contact | Site Map
Copyright 2007 Bliss Communications Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this material and this site are subject to the TheWeekExtra Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Content may not be published, broadcast, re-distributed or re-written.