Friday, November 02, 2007

Walworth County zoning Q&A

From Donna Lenz Wright's cover story and interview with Michael Cotter, Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management director, the eight most frequently asked questions.

The Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management office is located in the Walworth County Government Center on the square in downtown Elkhorn:


Q: How do I find out what zoning district my property is zoned in?
A: Make an appointment with a code enforcement officer.

--- Come into the office and look on the aerial maps.

--- There is a $30 fee if you need the zoning in writing.

--- Visit www.co.walworth.wi.us.


Q: When do I need a zoning permit?
A: A zoning permit is required for any construction, addition or alteration of any structure, including but not limited to sheds, carports, decks, patios, porches, dormers, towers, new or replacement retaining walls, entrance pillars and gates, shoreyard stairs and landings and shoreland vegetation removal or grading.


Q: What if I am only replacing what is there?
A: A zoning permit is required even if the structure exists and the person is replacing it.


Q: Do I need a permit for a fence?
A: No, as long as the fence does not exceed 4 feet in the street or shore yards and 6 feet in the side and rear yards. It is required to be at least 2 feet from the right-of-way and is not permitted to be greater than 2 feet in height in the vision triangle of an intersection. A fence in the shoreyard is not permitted to be a barrier to wildlife.


Q: Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?
A: Sometimes. Contact the zoning office for a determination.


Q: Do I need a permit to build a pond?
A: Yes, a County Zoning Permit and a County-approved Land Disturbance and Erosion Control Plan and Permit are required.


Q: Can I have horses on my property?
A: Walworth County Zoning permits horses on lands zoned A-1 (prime agricultural land), A-2 (agricultural land), A-3 (agricultural land holding), A-5 (agricultural-rural residential) and C-2 (upland resource conservation). Any building that has animals in them is required to be 100 feet from all property lines. Contact our office for further explanation.


Q: How do I apply for a zoning permit?
A: Submit a completed zoning permit application form, plat of survey prepared by a registered land surveyor showing all existing and proposed structures and the fee. Additional materials may be required for certain projects like building plans, grading plans, existing and proposed contours, etc. Construction started without permit approval will be charged a double fee.
~Donna Lenz Wright


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the questions. It helped me and I am sure it will help others.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home





News Blogs


The Guide












Site Map

© 2006 The Week Extra. All rights reserved.